I can’t claim to be an expert Rocky Road maker but I sure am an expert Rocky Road eater! You can find rocky road in almost every coffee shop you go into and on every supermarket biscuit and cake aisle, but why buy it when you make it yourself – especially with this easy peasy recipe?
I made this Rocky Road to take to a sports training weekend, however it never made it that far! My housemates gobbled it up before I had a chance to take it so I had to make a new batch. So it’s safe to say everyone enjoyed it, teammates and housemates alike!
MAKES: 16 small squares, 8 large slices
1 Medium-sized saucepan
1 Sealable freezer bag
1 Wooden spoon
1 Sharp knife
1 Square baking tin
130g Digestive biscuits
150g Dark chocolate
150g Milk chocolate
90g Mini marshmallows
100g Butter (I use Stork Baking Spread)
100g Glacé cherries
2.5tbsp Golden syrup
Line a square baking tin.
- Melt the butter, chocolate and golden syrup in the saucepan on a very low heat stirring continuously
- Once melted, remove the saucepan from the hob
- Roughly crush the digestives in a food storage bag and pour them into the mixture and stir
- Roughly chop the glacé cherries and stir them in
- Wait a couple of minutes for the mixture to cool then add the mini marshmallows
- Scrape the mixture into the baking tin and leave to cool in the fridge
It’s as simple as that! I’m not a big fan of nuts so I didn’t include them in my recipe but if you like them chuck a handful of roughly chopped brazil nuts or hazelnuts in instead (or as well as!) the glacé cherries.
Considering a piece of rocky road may cost you around £2 in a coffee shop, you could save yourself around £13 making it yourself as this bake costs £3.09 if you shop at Morrisons like me!