Everyone loves brownies – it’s a well-known fact.
I do have to admit, however, that I have a love-hate relationship with brownies. Whenever I feel like baking but I’m not sure what to bake I ask my family and friends; although I don’t know why I bother, they always say the same thing: “BROWNIES!” I’ve lost count of the number of batches of brownies I have made in my lifetime so it’s not surprising that I sometimes get bored of making them, especially when I fancy making something more adventurous. My opinion on brownies always changes as soon as they come out the oven, looking delicious and filling the house with gorgeous smells – not to mention fact that they are always a hit!
I have used this recipe for brownies for the last 4 and a half years and have never looked to find a different one for four reasons: they taste fabulous, they require very few tools, they only have 6 ingredients and they are a doddle to make. Perfect!
MAKES: 16 squares
220g Granulated Sugar
75g Self-Raising Flour
40g Cocoa Powder
2 Beaten Eggs
100g Melted Butter/Margarine (I like to use Stork Baking Spread) plus extra for greasing
3 Tbsp Milk
1 Small Handful of Chocolate Chips
1 20cm x 20cm Square Baking Tin (smaller is fine – they’ll just be gooey-er!)
1 Large Mixing Bowl
1 Large Metal Spoon
1 Egg Beater/Fork
Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees. Grease the baking tray and line with greaseproof/baking paper (I like to line the bottom and two sides so that you can easily lift out the brownies once they are cool)
- Sieve all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl
- Add the melted butter/margarine and stir with a large metal spoon slowly until combined
- Add the beaten eggs to the bowl and mix until combined
- Pour in the milk
- Beat with the metal spoon for 1 minute to ensure the ingredients are fully mixed together
- Pour the mixture into the baking tin
- Place on a middle shelf of the oven for 20 minutes (18 if you like a gooey middle!)
- Remove from the oven (add the chocolate chips to the top if you fancy) and leave until cool
- Cut into 16 square pieces
So, what did these brownies cost me to make? I shop in Morrisons and using their most “student friendly” items this bake cost me an impressive £1.38!